Friday 22 November 2013

Blueberry Yoghurt Cupcakes

We have a (small) blue vs. purple issue in this family. I won't tell you who I think started it, but I will say that it has something to do with my husband saying that Tinky Winky is blue, while I believe he's purple. So now my son has blue/ purple confusion, and I'm second guessing myself and wondering if what I see is what you see … and is what I see purple... or is it blue?


And why are blueberries called blueberries when they're actually purple berries?
Aren't they??


Blueberry Yoghurt Cupcakes
Recipe by Tea, Cake and Create

Pre-heat the oven to 180'C
Line 2x 12 hole muffin pans with cupcake cases
(Makes 24, but ingredients for cupcakes and icing can be halved to produce a dozen iced cupcakes).

Ingredients:
1 cup double thick greek yoghurt  (1 cup = 250ml)
2 cups flour
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
A few drops of lemon extract - optional
1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for garnish*

*frozen blueberries will do, but they don't quite have the same burst-in-your-mouth flavour as fresh ones do.

Beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
Mix in the oil and yoghurt (and lemon extract if you're using it).
Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix until just combined.
Dust the blueberries with flour, then fold them into the batter.
Scoop batter evenly into prepared cupcake cases.

Bake at 180'C for approx 20minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out just-clean (do you know what I mean?!)





Mascarpone Cream Icing





2 x tubs / 2 x 250g mascarpone 
1 cup (250ml) whipping cream (35-40% fat content)
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar


Chill the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 20 minutes. 
Place all ingredients into the chilled bowl, and whip until stiff. 

Pipe onto cooked cupcakes. 





Purple, right?!

xxM 

PS. for another take on blueberry cupcakes - see here

No comments:

Post a Comment