Saturday 9 February 2013

Blueberry and Lemon Cupcakes


When my mind gets going on a track - its pretty hard to derail me.
So, after the black cherry and chocolate cupcakes, I still hadn't (and probably still haven't) got the jam/ preserves secret centres out of my system. Scanning the jam shelves, I was inspired to try this next one:

Lemon and blueberry cupcakes. But the blueberries are all "jammed" in the centre ; )




They are lemon and vanilla cupcakes with a hidden centre of blueberry preserves (I use Bon Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves) with lemon and blueberry Swiss meringue buttercream.

Yes - SMB, again! Have you tried making it yet? I think one of the reasons I enjoy it so much - not just because of the taste (which is scrumptious!) is because it does this whole "ugly duckling" transformation thing.
I made the SMB a day before, then took it out the fridge to re-whip: this is what it turned into.
 Really not very pretty.



So I removed a small portion and heated it in the microwave for 30sec....


Still not very promising, hey? It was so bad, that I actually had to leave the room.
Just kidding...I left to go haul Jack and Sabrina in to bath. Then, forgot about the SMB beating away in the kitchen.
 When I returned - the ugly duckling had transformed into a swan!
I was so excited relieved that I forgot to take a photo, and just quickly piped it onto the cupcakes before it could change its mind!

So here's a photo of the final product:


                                                           Extreme makeover!!




Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes
recipe adapted from Paper Eskimo

Preheat oven to 160'C. Line 2 x 12hole muffin pans with cupcake cases


4 eggs
300ml sour cream
1/2 cups caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp Vanilla extract (you know I use Vanilla Girl - just a few drops)
Zest of 1 lemon


Beat together the eggs and cream. Then add the sugar and vanilla. Beat for 4 minutes.
Add the zest and sift in the flour. Beat briefly until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared cupcake cases. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
Remove from muffin pans and allow to cool.

Spoon the preserves into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle. Stick the nozzle into the middle of the cupcake, and squeeze!


Lemon and Blueberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream

5 large egg whites
1cup + 2 TBS castor sugar
340g butter, cut into cubes, at room temp
Lemon extract (I also use Vanilla Girl lemon extract - new on the market)
2 heaped TBS Blueberry preserves


Put the egg whites and sugar into a mixing bowl, and place that over a suitable saucepan of simmering water. The bottom of the mixing bowl must not be in contact with the water, and the water should not be boiling.


Whisk constantly, until the sugar granules have dissolved and the mixture is hot to touch.

Move off the stove, and to the mixer.
Using the whisk attachment, whip until it forms a thick and glossy meringue.

When the mixing bowl feels neutral to touch (ie, no longer hot), change over to the paddle attachment, and add the butter one cube at a time.
It may curdle, but just keep whipping until it reaches a satiny smooth consistency and holds its shape. Add the lemon extract, and blueberry preserves, beat well to incorporate.

Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.


Enjoy!

xxM 


PS. For a fresh blueberry cupcake recipe, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment